Want to try out the new Windows8beta builds?
Grab them here: Official Windows8beta builds
Protip for Windows8beta - rather than try and disable MetroUI startup menu with one of those registry toggle apps… why not just have the functionality of both at the same time? Here is my wugstyle workaround for the best of both worlds:
1. Download 7stacks - http://alastria.com/software/7stacks/
2. Enable show hidden files (Win+E > open any folder or drive > View tab > check “Hidden items” in the upper right of the new style explorer ribbon)
3. Launch 7stack and configure it to point to the folder:
4. Stack Type > Menu (or Vertical.. your choice)
5. Chose an icon file located on your computer
6. Check “Browse subfolders”
7. Click “Create Shortcut on Desktop”
8. Drag that new shortcut to your taskbar to pin it.
9. Click it to use it.
Enjoy access to a classic start menu alongside your metro style start menu; you can then easily make additional shortcuts to link to things like your games, documents, pictures, and download folder.. ect, or just use 7stack to make more customized menus. To get search functionality back, I recommend downloading the app “Everything Search” – its practically instantaneous (certainly faster than the classic windows 7 search feature) and its lightweight (and free!), grab it here http://www.voidtools.com/download.php
Want to Remap your Win Key to your new startmenu?
Here you go: RemapWin8Key.zip
1. Download it
2. Unzip it
3. Move the RemapWin8Key.exe to your Startup folder so that it starts on boot or just run it manually
- I built it with AutoHotKey; its a fully standalone exe for remaping your Windows key to your new 7stacks program menu. I included the .ahk file in the zip in case any of you wanted to look at it or compile it yourself. Enjoy.
Another quick tip… since Windows8 is built on top of windows 7, alot of windows 7 registry tweaks still work, try them out…
Here’s a great site with lots of cool Windows8 tips and tricks: http://tweaks.com/windows-8/#windows-8-software-tweaks
You can also use this program to get the Windows 7 startmenu back: http://lee-soft.com/vistart/ just make sure to pay attention when installing it; it come pre-bundeled with some crapware.
That’s all for now.. more to come!